Lake Whatcom Railway
(360) 441-0719
Wickersham, WA
USA

Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2 | Photo Gallery 3 | Steam Train Photos | Christmas Gallery

Steam Train Photos

#1070 was built by the American Locomotive Works In Manchester, NH in February of 1907 for The Northern Pacific Railway and was sent to the Idaho Division for service at Spokane, WA.  Around 1925,  1070 was moved to the Tacoma Division.  In May, 1950, #1070 was converted from burning coal to burning oil.  Around March, 1958,  the engine was leased by the NP to The Simpson Lumber Co. in Mc Cleary, WA and then was sold to them around May, 1958.  In 1959,  The Northwestern Glass Co. in Seattle bought #1070 and stored it until Frank Culp and his brother, Bob, could afford to buy it.  In 1963, Frank and Bob Culp bought #1070 from the Glass Co. and began restoration.  It was moved to The Puget Sound Railway Historical Association (P.S.R.H.A) in Snoqualmie,  WA and stored there until 1972 when Frank and Bob bought a ex-NP branch line from the Burlington Northern that they renamed to The Lake Whatcom Railway.

The 1070 is not currently running but can be viewed in its storage shed.

Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2 | Photo Gallery 3 | Steam Train Photos | Christmas Gallery